Saturday, May 11, 2013

No Kissing!

 
 
Well the inaugural post for my blog is not about a great race I had or some awesome outdoor experience either. It is quite the opposite. This year I have decided to complete my first FULL REV triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run) at REV3 Cedar Point in September.
Cedar Point HALF REV 2011
 
 
With the rigors of training for this type of race, the body goes through a lot of up and downs. I have been dealing with a lot of fatigue lately and was unsure if it was normal or not. Training for a full is a new adventure for me. After consulting with my coach, we decided to back my training down some. This did not seem to help, so I decided it was time to see the doctor and get her opinion.
 
The last time I saw my doctor was over a year ago. I am not a person that is sick very often. After numerous questions and giving several vials of blood, I was finally going to hear what was kicking my ass. As the title states, I have the kissing disease, ak "MONO".  Once the doctor gives me the news, I am stunned. My next question for her was "what do I take to get rid of it?". To my surprise in today day and age of modern medicine there is no medication for it. The body rids itself of it naturally. The next question was "how long does it last?". As you guessed it, there is not definite time table either. WTF!!! For a type A personality like mine, these answers sucked! I am such a planner and not being able to put a time table on being healthy again is horrible.
 
As I start to digest this whole situation and what are my options, my mind races. I am in the best shape I have been in since my car accident two years ago.
 
What is this going to do to my training? Well looks like I am taking it easy for awhile. I am allowed to exercise, but it is to be easy. This is easier said than done. Today I rode for one hour until I started to fade. I came home and took a two hour nap. Guess I will take it one day at a time for awhile.
 
The next few weeks will be very difficult! The joys of triathlon are not necessarily the racing, but the journey to the start line. I hope you continue to follow along my journey.
 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear, Matt! I had mono freshman year of college and it was awful, but I know the symptoms and recovery time vary from person to person. Hopefully yours won't be too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WIshing you a speedy recovery!! Looking forward to rocking CP FULL with ya :)

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw man, sorry to hear this! Just take it easy and you'll be back in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That stinks!!!! SEnding you quick healing vibes and prayers so you are back to yourself in no time! In the meantime, soak up lots of rest and good nutrition and family time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, that stinks! Here's to hoping for a fast recovery - you got it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for following!