Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Fear of the Unknown

If you have read my other post's, you would know that I have been dealing with mono. As of this post, it has been roughly two months. The past few weeks have had some major ups and downs. Mono, I have found out is a horrible virus to contract. It takes away the things in life that I have been accustom to doing. The biggest thing affected has been my active lifestyle.

Each day when I wake up a new adventure arises. Some day's I am tired within an hour of waking up. Other day's, I get through my work day and crash as soon as I get home. The best day's are the ones where I can live my life how I want and do the things I need to do. The best laid plans never seem to go as planned when you have mono though.


This weekend I embark on my longest triathlon of the season so far. The Half Rev at Rev3 Williamsburg was going to be a benchmark for my fitness. I am doing the Full Rev at Cedar Point in September and needed to see where my body is in relation to where I need to be preparing for the 140.6 mile distance. Well, like I said the best plans don't always workout. My training the past 3-4 weeks has been reduced to 5-9 hrs per week at best. Knowing off the bat that I am under trained for the race, it makes for some tough things to deal with.

As an athlete going into a race, you know based on your training what to reasonably expect. Some days you can over achieve and other days underachieve. As you guessed, I have no idea what kind of achiever I am going to be this weekend! I am the total planner down to the most minor detail. "The fear of the unknown" is such a true statement to describe the way I feel. This is the most nervous I have ever been going into a race. Not knowing which body of mine is going to show up is driving me nuts. As an athlete, I am there to race not just participate. The competitive juices start to kick in and it's go time. It's hard for me to say this, but my outlook for this race is to just have FUN! This race is not about the time that shows up on the clock this time. For me, it's about saying F U to mono. I am going to get me life back and mono is not going to stop me! It will be crossing the finish line knowing that I have better races ahead of me.

I am looking forward to seeing all my Rev3 teammates again. Lot's of friends from Central Virginia Endurance and the Richmond triathlon community will be competing as well. This race is going to be a blast. Good Luck to everyone racing!

See You at the Finish Line!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for following!