Sunday, July 7, 2013

Family Racing Weekend

Family Racing Weekend

This past Sunday Oscar, Kirstin and I traveled to Ohio for my cousin Andrews wedding on Friday night. Once we decided to go to Ohio, I started searching for other things going on for the rest of the weekend. Turned out that a triathlon was happening in Mason, OH which is the town my in-laws live in. After looking at the race website, I saw that it was not only an adult triathlon, but also a kids triathlon as well. Kirstin and I have never signed Oscar up for a sport unless he bought in. After being around the sport for the for the past six years, Oscar decided this was the time to give triathlon a shot.


After picking up our packets, we headed to my in-laws five miles from the race site. Race morning was a little different. The women started at 7:30 am, the men went off at 9 am and Oscar's race started at 11am. Kirstin and I headed to the race site early. Oscar was able to sleep in and joined us by 8am. Nice when grandma and grandpa live close. We got the transitions setup and waited for Kirstin's race to start.
Kirstin was cool as a cucumber 


While Kirstin was out on the bike Grandma arrived with Oscar. We had a talk about the race and discussed the transitions and mount/dismount lines.


Kirstin had a blast! I was able to watch her out on the run, but had to miss her finish due to the men getting ready to start.



 As I lined up, Kirstin came by and gave me a kiss before I was time for me to start and ready set go!





 After my race was done, Kirstin and I were ready for the main event. The main reason we decided to do this race was for Oscar to race his first triathlon. Two down and one to go!

Kirstin and I started to get Oscar focused on his goal. We went back over to transition and made sure all of his things were ready to go.

 
Once he was set and ready to go, it was off to the pool!






















He looked liked a season pro in the swim. 100yds complete and out of the pool he sprung. Off to transition he roled.


Oscar got the legs churing and starting going to town on the bike. Passing kid after kid. 3.1 miles went by in a flash and off the bike he flew. He did a awesome flying dismount that made me so proud!

Rolling out of T2 he looked like a man on a mission. He started out really fast!



 We all know what happens when you go out to fast.
SIDE STITCH!


 Oscar pushed through the side stitches and finished a kick ass race, 3/4 of a mile in the books.


Afterwards he wanted the pain in his belly to go away. This got me a little choked up! He now knows what Kirtsin and I put ourselves through when we race. After some stretching and cooling down he was golden!


Nothing could take the smile off my face for the rest of the day! Kirstin had a strong fourth place in her AG, I was second in my AG and Oscar was 1st in his AG and 4 in the 8-10 year old group.  Considering he is only 8 and first thru third were 9-10 year olds, I was stoked!

FAMILY OF RACERS!

Big thanks to my inlaws for letting us stay at there house. We enjoyed the visit. My father inlaw took over 600 pictures, hence the photo heavy blog. Thanks to my parents and my Aunt Carol and Uncle Jim for coming to watch us all race. It was a great adventure and we are planning the next one already.




1 comment:

Thank You for following!